It’s time for school again!! I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for healthier snacks to pack for the kiddos that don’t break the bank! These granola bars are a perfect homemade treat that combines the protein power of almond butter, whole oats and flaxseed with the deliciousness of chocolate chips, dried fruit and nuts. PLUS there is no baking involved!
2 c. Old Fashioned Oats
1 c. Ground Flaxseed
16 oz. jar Crunchy Almond Butter
1/2 c. Agave Syrup
1/4 c. Honey
1/4 c. Mini Chocolate Chips
2/3 c. Dried Cherries, chopped
1/2 c. Slivered Almonds
- Combine almond butter, flexseed, honey and agave in a large bowl.
- Pour in oats and stir well.
- Add in cherries, mini chips and almonds. Stir until completely combined.
- Line a 9×11 resealable plastic container with a large sheet of foil hanging over the edges.
- Pour the granola mixture into the container and press down evenly to make one big layer.
- Seal with lid and place in refrigerator for one hour.
- Remove lid and “score” the granola bars. They are rich, so keep that in mind – I like to make about 16 bars.
- Replace lid and put container back in the refrigerator to cool for a few more hours or overnight.
- Cut into bars again, following score marks and remove from container. (The foil will make this easy!)
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Note: You can sub any dried fruit or nuts of your choosing or add dried coconut as long as mix-ins total 1.5 cups. Have fun experimenting!
Some of my other favorite combos:
- White Chocolate Chips, Rice Krispies and Dried Cranberries
- Dried Apricots, Mini Chocolate Chips and Hazelnuts
- Dried Apples, Dried Cranberries and Toasted Walnuts
- Coconut Flakes, Chocolate Chips and Macadamia Nut