September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month and childhood obesity is now considered an epidemic. One great way to instill healthy habits with your kids is to get them involved in making healthy meals and snacks! The kids have fun – and it’s great bonding time with you! PLUS, they are far more likely to eat the healthy dish if they helped prepare it. I have tons of healthy slow cooker recipes on my website GetCrocked.com and here is one of my favorites. (and it’s SUPER easy) Even the tiniest chef can help you prepare this easy recipe!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken – recipe from GetCrocked.com
- Place 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast in a slow cooker.
- Pour two jars of salsa over the chicken and cook on low for 8 hours. (mild to hot salsa for your desired taste.)
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred by pulling apart with two forks or a Meat Rake.
- Once all pieces of chicken are shredded, place back in the salsa and mix well.
- Use the chicken to top a healthy salad, by itself as your main course, or use in place of beef to reduce fat in your favorite Mexican dishes.
Variation: Can add black beans, corn, green chilies, onions or even taco seasoning to the slow cooker for added flavor!
XO – Jenn