I LOVE chia seeds! Have you had them yet? To some they are an acquired taste. For me, I loved them from the start! They need to be placed in liquid of some sort to “hydrate.” What that means is they congeal and become a little slippery seed. They are super hydrating to the body and they are packed with Omega3 Fatty Acids which helps raise the HDL (good cholesterol) which in turn can decrease the chance for heart attack or stroke – double bonus!
If you haven’t had chia seeds yet, you can get them online here or from the health food section at most grocery stores. Make this smoothie and let me know how you like it!
Straw-Nana Chia Smoothie
- 1 Banana, Frozen
- 8 Strawberries
- Handful of clean, Baby Spinach
- 1/2 c. Vanilla Greek Yogurt (or just Light Vanilla Yogurt if you can’t find Greek)
- 1/2 c. Almond Milk
- 1-2 T. Raw Chia Seeds
- Combine all ingredients except chia seeds in blender.
- Blend on high or on the smoothie setting until well combined.
- Add Chia seeds and give blender a whirl to combine well.
- Let sit 15 minutes before serving to allow chia seeds to gel over.
Another option: Place 1-2 T. chia seeds in 1/4 c. juice or water and let sit in Refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and as long as overnight to allow chia seeds to hydrate.
– Get more smoothie recipes on my sister site BlendedFresh.com!
Benefits of Chia:
- High in Fiber (good for digestion, makes you feel full longer)
- High in Omega3 Fatty Acids (helps raise HDL)
Find out more about the health benefits of chia seeds here