Summer is finally here! I see lots of fun-filled days with my kids and evenings spent with friends and family in the neighborhood for the next few months. In Arizona it’s also HOT which means the last thing I want to do is spend extra time in the kitchen or turn on the oven, for that matter!
The slow cooker is the perfect tool for hot summer days (and nights!) when we want to keep it simple AND keep it cool. I am a slow cooking fool over the summer and that’s one of the reasons I spent a few hours this past weekend prepping slow cooker freezer meals.
The concept is simple: select your favorite slow cooker recipes, follow the preparation steps (leave out the liquids) up to the point where you would be cooking, then seal & freeze. For best results, use a Food Saver to remove all air (vacuum seal) the prepped meal before freezing. This helps prevent freezer burn and can double or triple the amount of time a meal can be frozen.
Here are 10 of my favorite slow cooker freezer recipes:
- Hawaiian Chicken – Delicious and full of flavor! Leave out the BBQ sauce when freezing and add to slow cooker day of cooking.
- Cheese-Stuffed Italian Meatballs – delicious! Shape meatballs around a cube of mozzarella cheese. Use the recipe here and sub Marinara for the other sauces listed.
- Beef & Broccoli This is my favorite Chinese dish! Freeze the beef & cornstarch only and add other ingredients when cooking.
- Yummiest Pot Roast – Seriously the best! Brown meat and add other ingredients except broth and soup. Freeze, then add broth & soup when cooking.
- Harvest Chicken Soup – Keep this handy in your freezer for a sick day! Prep all ingredients except chicken stock and freeze. (including bouquet garni) Add stock to slow cooker when cooking.
- Paleo Apple Chicken Healthy, tender and delicious – this meal is always a hit! Prep and freeze all ingredients but the broth.
- Apple Sage Pork Tenderloin Leave out the broth and wine but freeze everything else together. When ready to cook, add frozen ingredients to slow cooker and top with broth. Follow remaining steps of recipe after cooking.
- Ground Beef for Tacos This is a great one to keep in your freezer! Prep all ingredients, leaving out liquids. Freeze & seal. Then the next time you’re not sure what to make for dinner, put this in your slow cooker and top with water & salsa. Taco Night!
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Another easy and delicious recipe you can make ina snap! Prep and freeze meat & onions together. Add soda when cooking and follow remaining steps in recipe.
- 3 Packet Beef Roast – This a delicious and tender meal! Freeze meat & seasonings. Add water as directed when slow cooking.
I’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite freezer meals?
XO – Jenn